Do you love Bubble Tea? Tired of the same boring drinks? Looking for the perfect Summertime cocktail? Then check out my latest recipe for a Jell-O and Coconut Beverage (Guinilu) that will wake up your taste buds and wow all of your neighbors at this years BBQs.
What is it?
So what is Guinilu? It is a drink originating in Pampanga and is particularly popular during lent and Summer. While this recipe is based on the traditional beverage, I have of course taken some liberty regarding the ingredients and made it my own.
My final creation is a multi-textured cup of wonderful that plays with the hidden child inside all of us. After all, who didn’t grow up loving Jell-O? Between the great colors and wonderful textures, this drink could easily be mistaken for a meal. The drink contains coconut water, evaporated milk, tapioca, and shredded coconut. In fact, many recipes refer to it as a salad and not a drink.
Why we Love it?
I love this drink because it reminds me of home, even though it was not popular in my province, to me it tastes like the Philippines. In fact, I was introduced to this drink much later in life, but even if you were not born in the Philippines, Guinilu can be the perfect summertime treat.
The best thing about this drink is the use of texture to wake up your taste buds. This drink is really more of a dessert than a beverage. In fact, we highly recommend you serve it with a spoon so your guests can easily get to all the yummy items.
This beverage is best made one day in advance. The flavors really do come together overnight and the texture of the shredded coconut really softens nicely. For me, I prefer a few ice cubes, but not so many that it will water down this wonderful creation. Providing a spoon is also helpful to fully enjoy all of the wonderful ingredients.
As I stated above, this drink is best served on day two and should be stored in a refrigerated space covered, because it features condensed and evaporated milk, and can absorb strong odors that may be found in your refrigerator. I prefer to use glass as plastic or metal containers can also influence the flavor of liquids. Regarding spoilage, it would be best to consume the entire beverage by day three as it will begin to lose quality quickly after day 2.
1 cup shredded coconut meat
1 can Condense milk
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 Package Berry Blue Jell-O(red)
1 Package Berry Blue Jell-O (green)
1 Package Berry Blue Jell-O (blue)
1 tbsp. Food color (red)- optional
1 cup small tapioca pearls
6 tbsp. white sugar (optional)
2 cups coconut juice
10 cups water
How to Cook Jell-O Gelatin
- To a saucepan add 1 cup of water, and 3 tbsp. gelatin powder and mix for 2 minutes until all the powder dissolves. (Repeat process until all gelatin flavors are cooked).
- Turn on burner on medium heat, mix and cook for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer to molding pan and set a side until cools down.
- Put in the fridge overnight or for 2-4 hours until firm
- Cut gelatin into cubes.
How to Cook the Small Tapioca Pearls
- To a saucepan add 5 cups of water and add the tapioca pearls.
- Cook for 7 minutes on a medium heat, then turn the heat off and let the tapioca pearls sit for 5 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Drain the tapioca pearls, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process then set a side.
- In a big mixing bowl add 1 can of condense milk, 1 can evaporated milk, and add 2 cups of coconut juice. Mix until combined.
- Add 1 cup of shredded coconut, add flavored cooked gelatin cubes and mix well until combined.
- Add a few drops of food coloring (red) until it reaches a beautiful pink color and mix again until well combined.
- Add sugar according to your taste and put in the fridge to chill (at least 1-2 hours).
- Quick Note: I usually skip the sugar
- Ready to serve. Enjoy!
Well thank you for checking out my recipe, I hope you enjoy this drink. Also, if you enjoyed the post, please click the like button, make a comment below and/or subscribe to my Blog and Facebook page. Please keep your eyes open for more recipes and posts as I continue to explore new ways to help you make life just a little more fun by finding the best ways to “Live life one moment at a time”