Looking for an alternative to Ice coffee this summer? Then check out my new recipe for an Iced Strawberry Boba Latte. It is a cool refreshing alternative to a traditional Coffee Latte that is sure to be a crowd pleaser at any Summer Event!!!
What is it?
While a traditional latte features espresso and milk layered together, the Iced Strawberry Boba Latte follows this same concept. Beautiful handmade strawberry puree and Boba on the bottom and a wonderful Evaporated Milk on top. Why evaporated milk? First, because not everyone has an espresso machine with a steam wand. Secondly, because hot milk foam does not do well when combined with ice. Evaporated milk provides a similarly thick and rich experience but is much easier for most of us.
Why I do Love this Recipe?
As most of you know from my previous articles, I am definitely a coffee lover, however, once in a while I just need a change of pace. Here in Korea, coffee and coffee inspired drinks are everywhere and this is one of my favorites. While it is nice to buy these at our local coffee shop, that can certainly get pretty expensive. As a result, I decided to experiment until I created my own unique recipe. It is the perfect break from traditional lattes and boy is it great in the Summer.
Where Can I Buy Boba Pearls?
You can typically find them at the nearest Asian store or you can order them online, mine is from Coupang.com. If you are not in Korea however, you can try Amazon.com. Either option should allow you to get them pretty quickly if there is not an Asian store close by.
Unlike the previous recipe for my Jell-O and Coconut Beverage called Guinilu, this recipe is best prepared individually, as part of the fun is the layered look the drink provides.
I recommend a tall wide glass with a flat surface so your guests can really see the effect. I also recommend using crushed Ice as opposed to cubes. This provides for a colder beverage quicker and as the ice melts it really compliments the evaporated milk.
Lastly, try garnishing with fresh fruit by slicing a single strawberry and placing it on the rim of the glass then dicing up a couple to place on top. They are great when stirred into the drink and provide a nice burst of texture.
Because this drink should be prepared separately and not in large batches, keep the ingredients separate in individual storage containers and be sure to refrigerate. The evaporated milk can pick up odors from the fridge so be sure it is sealed tight.
When storing the Boba, be sure to use either honey or simple syrup to avoid the Boba drying out and sticking together. I recommend storing the items in the fridge no longer than a day or so as they ingredients will quickly lose their quality.
2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Strawberries
5 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 Cup Boba Pearls
2 Cups Evaporated Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Crushed Ice or Cubes
How to Cook the Boba Pearls?
- To a saucepan add 1 litter water and 1 cup Boba pearls and stir.
- Cook for 30 minutes on a medium heat and stirring every 5 minutes or so, then turn off the heat and let the Boba sit for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Drain Boba pearls and transfer to a container while still warm, then add 3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar and mix until well combined, then set a side.
How to Cook the Strawberries?
- Remove the tops of the Strawberries and slice in half
- To a saucepan add 2 cups of strawberries and add 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar, and stir until all combined.
- Cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat, stirring constantly then blend in a blender or with a stick blender to puree.
- Transfer into cup and set a side until it cools down.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract to the evaporated milk and mix
- In a tall glass, add 1/4 cup of Boba Pearls and add Strawberry puree until covered completely.
- Add another inch of strawberry puree.
- Add shaved ice onto strawberry puree until glass is full then slowly add the evaporated milk leaving approximately one inch from the top to prevent spills.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry sliced from middle of the the bottom to just under the top and place on rim of glass then dice up one to two strawberries and place on top of evaporated milk and ice.
Well thank you for checking out my recipe, I hope you enjoy this drink. Also, if you enjoyed the post, please click the like button, make a comment below and/or subscribe to my Blog and Facebook page. Please keep your eyes open for more recipes and posts as I continue to explore new ways to help you make life just a little more fun by finding the best ways to “Live life one moment at a time”