Looking for a new recipe for your ground beef? Tired of meat loaf and hamburgers? Then checkout this recipe for My Classic Korean Beef Rice Bowl. It puts a whole new spin on ground beef and rice. Think of it like a Korean “Shepherd’s Pie.”
What is Korean Beef Rice Bowl
A Korean Beef Rice Bowl utilizes the flavors of Korea to Jazz up an otherwise ordinary ingredient. It is ground beef marinated with all of my favorite Korean things; hot peppers, mirin, soy sauce garlic and mushrooms to name a few. The ground beef is then served with classic Korean rice or if you want a carb free alternative, it can be used in a lettuce wrap.
Why we Love this Recipe
This recipe features ground beef flavored with a little Korean Inspiration that breathes new life into an otherwise ordinary ingredient. I love this dish because it helps me make the most out of an everyday item that I always rely on and makes it super special.
What to Pair with this Dish
Any type of rice will work, but my favorite is Korean Brown Rice. The texture is simply wonderful and it will be one of the things my husband and I miss the most when we leave this wonderful place.
If you are looking for a low carb alternative, try making the dish a lettuce wrap and add a little kimchi. It really is just amazing. The texture and flavor profile really reminds me of the lettuce wraps in PF Changs.
Storage and Freshness
This dish is Ground Beef based and therefore has a pretty good shelf life. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container, and be sure to store separately from the rice to conserve moisture. The dish should keep up to 4 days, but will quickly lose quality after 3 days.
Ingredients for Korean Beef Rice Bowl
1 Pound ground beef
3 Tbsp Soy sauce
2 Tbsp Mirin ( rice wine)
1 Tbsp white or brown sugar
2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
2 Tbsp Sesame oil
4 Cloves garlic (minced)
2 Pcs Shiitake Mushroom (cut into small pieces)
1/2 Yellow Onion (cut into small pieces)
1 Long Red chili (sliced )
1 Jalapeno ( sliced )
3 stalks of scallions (thinly sliced)
Pinch of salt and black pepper (according to taste)
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
How to Marinade Ground Beef
- Add ground beef to a large mixing bowl
2. Then add 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin (rice wine), 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, add minced garlic, shiitake mushroom and add 1 Tbsp sesame oil then mix all together until well combined.
3. Cover and marinade for 5 to 10 minutes then refrigerate.
How to Cook Ground Beef
- In a large hot skillet add 1 tbsp oil using medium high heat
- Sauté the garlic, onion and thinly sliced scallions stirring them all together for about 30 seconds or until you smell the garlic.
- Add marinated ground beef stir constantly and cook until browning starts and all of the moisture is released into the pan.
- Then drain the excess moisture and fat using a colander strainer.
- Add the drained meat back to the hot pan and continue stirring on medium high heat.
- Then add red, green chilies, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, add the remaining 1 tbsp soy sauce then stir all together. Lastly, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Continue cooking until the chilies begin to soften and the beef caramelizes in the pan.
- Remove from heat and serve with brown rice or white rice and garnish it with scallions and red chilies on top. Enjoy!
Well thank you for checking out my recipe, I hope you enjoy this dish. Also, if you enjoyed the post, please click the like button, make a comment below and/or subscribe to my Blog and Facebook page. Please keep your eyes open for more recipes and posts as I continue to explore new ways to help you make life just a little more fun by finding the best ways to “Live life one moment at a time”